Ashley Monroe set out a specific path for Sparrow when she decided her fourth album would be her most raw and real work to date.
Locking in producer Dave Cobb and studio time in the iconic RCA Studio A, Monroe created her own path with vintage sounds and vulnerable lyrics to follow. Calling upon friends like Angeleena Presley and Anderson East for their professional help, the singer nailed down what Sparrow was about: an authentic representation of Monroe and her voice.
The singer mixed together a collection of genre-bending beats to her country-rooted words to make Sparrow into a message that Monroe strived to emit. With the production values of Cobb to boost up the quality to Monroe’s level, the project became exactly what Monroe wanted as an audible version of herself.
“I knew I wanted to work with Dave. All of his records are consistently awesome and classic, timeless, old and new all in one. Country music is a wide genre, and that’s OK. I don’t even know what genre this record is, but I know it’s me,” Monroe explained about the partnership with Cobb.
Although Monroe put in the hard work to make Sparrow on her own, she may also be putting that power right back into the studio with a hinted Pistol Annies reunion on the horizon.
Monroe’s album, Sparrow, will come out on Friday, April 20.
Sparrow Track List:
- “Orphan” (Ashley Monroe, Gordie Sampson, Paul Moak)
- “Hard On A Heart” (Monroe, Blu Sanders, Moak)
- “Hands On You” (Monroe, Jon Randall)
- “Mother’s Daughter” (Monroe, Brendan Benson, Ryan Beaver)
- “Rita” (Monroe, Nicolle Galyon, Moak)
- “Wild Love” (Monroe, Waylon Payne, Brendan Benson)
- “This Heaven” (Anderson East, Ashley Monroe, Aaron Raitiere)
- “I’m Trying To” (Monroe, Kassi Ashton, Randall)
- “She Wakes Me Up (Rescue Me)” (Monroe, Payne, Moak)
- “Paying Attention” (Monroe, Payne, Benson)
- “Daddy I Told You” (Monroe, Angaleena Presley, Josh O’Keefe)
- “Keys To The Kingdom” (Monroe, Payne)