Troy Gentry’s Helicopter Ride Was a ‘Spur Of The Moment’ Decision

A “spur of the moment” decision is one that changed the life of Troy Gentry’s family forever. According to PEOPLE, a federal investigator looking into the helicopter crash that took the singer’s life shares that the flight was an impromptu choice.

“Not long after takeoff, the pilot announced over the airport frequency – which was being monitored by a number of people – that he was having difficulty controlling engine RPM,” Brian Rayner, senior air safety investigator with the National Transportation Safety Board, told the publication. “A couple of different responses to that challenge were discussed, and he was performing an auto rotational descent to runway one.”

“The helicopter landed short of the runway in low brush, it was substantially damaged and the occupants were fatally injured,” he continued.

Rayner explained that a preliminary report with will details of the crash should be released within the next week, but a full, factual report could take up to a year or longer to assemble. reports that the pilot, Evan Robinson, was pronounced dead at the scene while Gentry was taken to Virtua Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

Gentry was scheduled to perform with his bandmate Eddie Montgomery at the Flying W Airport and Resort in Medford on Friday. Upon news of the accident, the concert was immediately canceled with fans to be refunded at their point of purchase.

“The day started with such excitement as the Montgomery Gentry bus rolled through our gates. The nicest people got off the bus and joined us on the ramp for what we hoped would be the best concert we have ever had. Sadly this was not to be,” the Flying W said in a statement. “Instead the day turned to tragedy as a helicopter accident took the lives of the pilot and Mr. Gentry. No words can describe the sadness that the Flying W employees feel for the families.””

Troy Gentry’s life and legacy will be celebrated with a public ceremony at the Grand Ole Opry, of which he was a member. There will be a private family internment following. The Kentucky native leaves behind his wife Angie and daughters Kaylee and Taylor.