Tragedy mixed with country-music fun at Michigan’s Faster Horses Festival over the weekend (July 16-18), as four people were found dead in two separate incidents. Investigations are ongoing, and the festival continued as planned.
Three of the deaths appear to be caused by carbon monoxide poisoning, when five men in their 20s were found unresponsive inside a camper on festival grounds. A friend had reportedly become worried and went looking for the men, with two victims taken to the hospital in critical condition. A statement issued by the Lenawee County Sheriff’s Office noted that the deaths appear to be accidental, and reminded campers of the danger posed by generators and running vehicles.
“According to Sheriff Investigators, the caller was a friend of the five males and became concerned when he had not heard from them. This tragic incident is being investigated as a suspected carbon monoxide exposure from a generator located very near the travel trailer,” the report says. “First Responders stress the importance of keeping generators away from camping areas.”
Meanwhile, the Michigan State Police are also investagating the death of 30-year-old festival atendee, Melissa Donna Havens. According to a series of tweets, Havens’ body was discovered in the early-morning hours of the festival’s second day (Saturday, July 17), and her manner of death is unknown. Officials are awaiting the results of a toxicology screen, and in the meantime, have asked the public for help locating a person who was seen with Havens before her death. They were also careful to say they did not suspect other fans were in any danger, and the festival continued as planned.