Britnee Kellogg is empowering and encouraging mothers everywhere with her brand new song, ‘Hey Mama,’ released September 17. In the mid-tempo tune, Kellogg, a mother of three herself, sings directly to moms who may be worn out or feeling like they’re not good enough, encouraging them to keep going and give themselves “some grace.” The song was written by Kellogg and Michael Farren and was inspired by Kellogg’s own journey through motherhood, which hasn’t always been easy.
“I am a mama of three myself and have struggled with postpartum anxiety and depression,” Kellogg shared with Sounds Like Nashville. “I knew it was important for me to try to describe those hard days and encourage other moms in song. I think because of the closeness of the experiences, it was one of the most beautiful and easy writes I have ever had. The words just came out and flowed so beautifully with the melody.”
The song’s emotional and uplifting lyrics are paired with sweeping instrumentation which includes piano, guitar and other acoustic elements. The song even features a surprise at the end as Kellogg’s three-year-old daughter Harlow sings alongside her on the track. Kellogg shared a video on TikTok of herself and Harlow recording the track and the singer’s original video teasing the song has received 2.6 million views.
In honor of the release of “Hey Mama,” Kellogg is sharing 10 songs that inspire her in motherhood.
1. “Man I Feel Like a Woman,” Shania Twain: This song just literally ALWAYS makes you feel like you can conquer the world. Definitely my going out and getting ready song.
2. “Diane,” CAM: I literally scream this at the top of my lungs, whenever wherever. POWER SONG.
3. “Girl,” Maren Morris: This song is just a beautiful empowering reminder that we are amazing and capable.
4. “Miss Me More,” Kelsea Ballerini: This song is such an empowering song about loving yourself, and never letting yourself lose sight of whats most important.
5. “Got My Name Changed Back,” Pistol Annies: I remember when I got my maiden name (Kellogg) back and it was literally the BEST day of my life, okay well after having my babies.
6. “Dumb Blonde,” Dolly: need I say more?
7. “A Little Bit Stronger,” Sara Evans: this song got me through one of the most difficult break ups of my life. What a beautiful reminder that we are strong.
8. “Platinum,” Miranda Lambert: I freaking love singing this song anytime I’m driving and just want to cruise with my windows down.
9. “I Know Where I’m Going,” The Judds: This song has been one of my anthems since I was a little girl, and I just love blasting it and reminding myself where I’m heading.
10. “Fancy,” Reba: This song is probably not the most encouraging song- but it is my empowering Karaoke GO TO, and Reba has been my biggest influence since I was 9 years old.