All female country supergroup The Highwomen put a torch to antiquated views of women in the fun-loving video for their debut single, “Redesigning Women.”
Featuring Maren Morris, Brandi Carlile, Amanda Shires and Natalie Hemby, the all-star group portray firefighters in the clip, literally unpacking boxes full of the stereotypes that hold them down and setting fire to the whole thing. Under a loping, classic-country beat and thick, four-part harmonies, the track delivers a pointed message aimed at an absurd slice of reality: Supposedly, women are less capable than men, and yet they are also expected to do much, much more.
“‘Redesigning Women’ is the life most women are living today,” Hemby says of the track. “We juggle so much in 24 hours and I wanted to write a song that reflected the goodness, the madness and the hilarity of it all.”
Meanwhile, country artists like Tanya Tucker, Wynonna, Lauren Alaina, Cam and Cassadee Pope, plus Kassi Ashton, Lilly Hiatt, Catie Offerman, Erin Rae, Raelynn, Natalie Stovall, Anna Vaus and Hailey Whitters join in to watch the fire burn. Call it moral support … and a good time that no one would want to miss.
“Redesigning women / Runnin’ the world while we’re cleanin’ up the kitchen / Makin’ bank, shakin’ hands, drivin’ 80 / Tryna get home just to feed the baby / Skippin’ the bread for the butter / Changin’ our minds like we change our hair color / Yeah, ever since the beginning / We’ve been redesigning women,” goes the singalong chorus.
The Highwomen were created in part as a response to the ongoing realization that female country artists receive far less radio play than their male counterparts, a practice based largely on outdated statistics and unproven assumptions. With a name that recalls The Highwaymen (Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson and Kris Kristofferson), they made their onstage debut at Loretta Lynn’s All-Star Birthday Celebration Concert in Nashville this past April, and their self-titled album will be available on September 6.
The Highwomen Track List:
- “Highwomen” (written by Brandi Carlile, Amanda Shires, Jimmy Webb)
- “Redesigning Women” (written by Natalie Hemby, Rodney Clawson)
- “Loose Change” (written by Maren Morris, Maggie Chapman, Daniel Layus)
- “Crowded Table” (written by Brandi Carlile, Natalie Hemby, Lori McKenna)
- “My Name Can’t Be Mama” (written by Brandi Carlile, Maren Morris, Amanda Shires)
- “If She Ever Leaves Me” (written by Amanda Shires, Jason Isbell, Chris Thompkins)
- “Old Soul” (written by Maren Morris, Luke Dick, Laura Veltz)
- “Don’t Call Me” (written by Amanda Shires, Peter Levin)
- “My Only Child” (written by Natalie Hemby, Amanda Shires, Miranda Lambert)
- “Heaven Is A Honky Tonk” (written by Brandi Carlile, Natalie Hemby, Ray LaMontagne)
- “Cocktail And A Song” (written by Amanda Shires)
- “Wheels Of Laredo” (written by Brandi Carlile, Tim Hanseroth, Phil Hanseroth)