Acclaimed Nashville-based artist Jillian Jacqueline is slated to drop her long-awaited debut album, Honesty, on June 10. The collection is her first body of music since Side A and Side B, which were issued in 2017 and 2018 by her then-record label Big Loud Records. This time, for her upcoming LP, Jacqueline has teamed up with Virgin Music to release it.
“It feels like a fresh start for me. After 14 years in Nashville, this is my first fully realized album, one that runs the gamut of me as a person and an artist,” Jacqueline shares in a press release. “The passion of making this record was really a creative rebirth, putting me back in touch with what I’ve always loved about music.”
The eleven-track set, co-produced by Tofer and Bryan Brown, features collaborations with Charlie Worsham on “The Ocean” and Brothers Osborne’s TJ Osborne on “Better With a Broken Heart,” which is out now.
Penned by Jacqueline alongside Tofer Brown and Adam James, “Better With a Broken Heart” finds the persona ruminating on the bliss of busking in her sad emotions. Instead of turning to friends or falling “into a stranger’s bed,” she opts to mend her broken heart in solitude.
“No my misery don’t need company, just / Neon burned out with a few whiskeys down / And a sad song in a smoky bar / A long drive alone without anywhere to go / And the rain on the roof of this car / Some things just go better with a broken heart,” Jacqueline and Osborne belt harmoniously over vibrant guitar lines in the chorus.
“I’m thrilled to have TJ of the Brothers Osborne singing with me on it,” says Jacqueline. “I’ve always loved that resonant voice of his, with this emotional tremor to it. He really nailed it in the studio, and hearing us together on the chorus just gives me chills.”
The accompanying music video also brings this aching sentiment to life. It depicts a girl rendered in an insufferable state after being let down countless times by her love interest. Ultimately, she decides that sometimes, her dignity and self-love triumph over the lingering possibilities of a romantic relationship. The visual is directed by recent 2022 ACM Video of The Year winners Alexa King-Stone and Stephen Kinigopoulos of Running Bear Films.
Fans can watch the “Better With A Broken Heart” video above and pre-save Honesty here.
1. The Ocean featuring Charlie Worsham (J. Jacqueline, Tofer Brown, Hillary Lindsey)
2. When It Rains (J. Jacqueline, T. Brown)
3. Bandwagon (J. Jacqueline, T. Brown, Trevor Rosen)
4. Hummingbird (J. Jacqueline, Daniel Tashian, Andrew Deroberts)
5. Better with a Broken Heart featuring TJ Osborne (J. Jacqueline, T. Brown, Adam James)
6. Magic (J. Jacqueline, T. Brown, Shane McAnally)
7. Sure (J. Jacqueline, Lori McKenna, T. Brown)
8. Compliment (J. Jacqueline, T. Brown, Madi Diaz)
9. Hurt Somebody Else (J. Jacqueline, T. Brown, Justin Parker)
10. Iconic (J. Jacqueline, T. Brown, Kate York)
11. Honeymoon (J. Jacqueline, Rob Persaud, Alex Reid)