Trad-country loving trio Midland are back with a new studio project this month, and an updated (but still classic-sounding) track to boot. Set for release on July 16, The Last Resort will deliver another blast of throwback country cool, and “Sunrise Tells the Story” starts things off.
Featuring five new songs steeped in Midland’s celebrated old-school vibe, The Last Resort follows their 2021 documentary and soundtrack project, The Sonic Ranch — and it appears to be another full-fledged concept recording. Each song was co-written by members of the band with chart topping new-country hitmakers like Shane McAnally, Josh Osborne an Jessi Alexander. But the aesthetic here seems to be more drop-top Cadillacs, gold jewelry and dingy motels than skin-tight jeans and hardcore honky tonk. Fans can get an early taste with “Sunrise Tells the Story.”
A slow-grooving country ballad telling a tale of forbidden love — with a night full of secrets revealed by the break of dawn — it features steel guitar, rich harmonies and a slightly more modern presentation than their previous work. And meanwhile, a live performance video helps capture the track’s smoldering haze, with Midland decked out in shabby suits in their natural habitat — a smoky old dive bar.
The Last Resort arrives in just a few weeks on July 16. Midland will be on the road for fairs, festivals and club dates this summer, and their European tour starts in September. Then they’ll return to headline The Last Resort Tour, which kicks off October 7 in Phoenix, Arizona, with guest artist Hailey Whitters.
THE LAST RESORT TRACK LISTING:
1. “And Then Some” (Jess Carson, Cameron Duddy, Mark Wystrach, Shane McAnally, Josh Osborne)
2. “Sunrise Tells The Story” (Jess Carson, Jessi Alexander, Aaron Raitiere)
3. “Two To Two Step” (Jess Carson, Cameron Duddy, Mark Wystrach, Shane McAnally, Josh Osborne)
4. “Take Her Off Your Hands” (Jess Carson, Cameron Duddy, Mark Wystrach, Shane McAnally, Josh Osborne)
5. “Adios Cowboy” (Jess Carson, Cameron Duddy, Mark Wystrach, Marv Green, JT Harding)