Country music trio Runaway June are set to release to highly-anticipated debut album Blue Roses on June 28th. The project, produced by Dan Huff and Ross Copperman, includes top 25-and-climbing single “Buy My Own Drinks” and other hits written by acclaimed songwriters like Liz Rose, Nicolle Galyon, Hillary Lindsey,
James T Slater, Josh Kear and more.
Just 4 years ago, Naomi Cooke, Jennifer Wanye and Hannah Mulholland formed Runaway June. Within this short span of years, the group has become the first all-female trio in over a decade to score three Top 40 hits. The BBR Music Group/Wheelhouse Records artists have also, to date, received ACM and CMT nominations, been named CMT’s “Next Women of Country,” performed on national TV including the CMA Awards, ACM Awards, CMT awards and the TODAY show, all while receiving a plethora of critical praises from dozens of outlets for their flawless harmonies and traditional-leaning sounds.
“The name Runaway June is symbolic of the many pivotal moments in our lives and career that happen in the month of June. It’s only fitting that our first album comes out in June,” shared Wayne.
Elaborating further, Mulholland shared how the creation of the album has truly been a journey. “We’ve been together for four years now, but this is our debut album. We really harmonized as a band through songwriting and being out on the road. So, I feel like through that journey, we were able to learn more about ourselves as people—as women, as performers, as artists – and figure out what we wanted to say, all of that is reflected in these songs.”
Songs like “Good, Bad & Ugly” that dive into the acceptance of being in a relationship, juxtaposed with songs like “Trouble with This Town” and “I Am Too,” that address the universal post-relationship struggles that make up the human experience, are clear indicators of the holistic nature of the forthcoming record.
“The album has many different faces, and it really represents all the sides of who we are. Our songs are deeply Country,” added Cooke. “We aimed to make a compelling record that displays our character, personality and where our heart is. That’s why ‘Blue Roses’ is the title track. It’s a deeply personal song we wrote several years ago, but have kept for something special”
The title track “Blue Roses” is an emotional track that showcases the depth of the album. Penned by Wayne and Cooke along with Caroline Cutbirth and Marcus Hummon in the wake of Cooke’s loss of a family member. It took some time before the band was able to fully embrace the emotions of the song to perform it live. But once they did, it came to symbolize the openness of music, which they feel is necessary to share with country listeners.
Runaway June are currently out on the road with Carrie Underwood and Maddie & Tae on Underwood’s Cry Pretty Tour 360. Sponsored by CALIA, the tour kicked off in May 1 in Greensboro, NC, and will play 55 arenas across the US and Canada, promoted by AEG Presents.
For more information and tour dates, click HERE.
Blue Roses Track Listing:
- “Head Over Heels” — (Hannah Mulholland, Jennifer Wayne, Naomi Cooke, Tommy Cecil, Jared Mullins)
- “Buy My Own Drinks” — (Hannah Mulholland, Jennifer Wayne, Naomi Cooke, Hillary Lindsey, Josh Kear)
- “We Were Rich” — (Ross Copperman, Ashley Gorley, Nicolle Galyon)
- “I Know the Way” — (Hannah Mulholland, Jennifer Wayne, Naomi Cooke, Emily Shackelton, Ben West)
- “Trouble with This Town” — (Jennifer Wayne, Naomi Cooke, Chris DeStefano, Liz Rose)
- “Got Me Where I Want You” — (James Slater, Kat Higgins, Justin Morgan)
- “Fast as You” — (Dwight Yoakam)
- “I Am Too” — (busbee, Corey Crowder, Liz Rose)
- “Good, Bad & Ugly” — (Hannah Mulholland, Jennifer Wayne, Naomi Cooke, Jacob Attwooll, Samuel Roman)
- “Blue Roses” — (Caroline Cutbirth, Jennifer Wayne, Naomi Cooke, Marcus Hummon)