As 2011 winds down, we’re taking a look back at our most popular stories of the year. Through the wonderful technology of the internet, we’re able to measure which stories on CMIL have been the most popular (by number of page views) with our readers. Take a look back with us as we share our most popular stories of 2011…
11. Major League Baseball Goes to Bat with Country Music – By the time that spring rolls around, we’re more than ready to head to the ballpark to watch America’s favorite pastime. Lucky for us, while we’re there we can hear some great country music as some of today’s best baseball players choose country songs for their at-bat music. While the ballparks are closed up for the winter months, take a look back and see which country stars helped keep the baseball players and fans entertained at the field.
10. Miranda Lambert & Blake Shelton Share Wedding Photos – After a 5-year courtship, Miranda Lambert and Blake Shelton tied the knot back in May. Sharing their special day with friends and loved ones in Miranda’s native Texas, the Shelton’s shared a glimpse of their big day with Us Weekly magazine. Country fans couldn’t wait to see pictures of the bride and groom on their wedding day.
9. Country Music’s Next Superstar – 2o11 has been a big year for Luke Bryan as he continued to build his career and solidified his status as one of the biggest rising stars in country music. We’ve followed Luke’s career over the last several years and it’s been a joy to watch his journey thus far. Take a walk down memory lane with us as we recall the very first time that we saw Luke’s live show and how it convinced us that he was born to be a star.
8. Luke Bryan’s Rockin’ CMT Awards Performance – One moment that set Luke apart from many of his peers was his performance of “Country Girl (Shake It For Me)” at this year’s CMT Music Awards. Luke promised the fans that he’d have them “shakin’ in their seats” and he did just that! We dare you to watch the performance again and not dance along… even Lady Antebellum’s Charles Kelley was dancing along throughout the entire performance!
7. Miranda Lambert: ‘Blake Shelton Doesn’t Care What Size I Am’ – Like most brides, Miranda worked hard to get her body in tip-top shape for her wedding day. Although she worked hard to get to her goal, Miranda confessed that her hubby-to-be loves her no matter what size she is.
6. Cheyenne Kimball Leaves Gloriana – 2011 wasn’t smooth sailing for everyone. Shocking their fans, Gloriana confirmed in mid-July that Cheyenne Kimball had left the group after 4 years together. After adjusting to their new life as a trio, Gloriana continued performing shows and working on a new album. The group remains committed to all of their fans and supporters.
5. Eric Church Offers Fans Free Download – Who doesn’t love free music?! It’s especially great when it’s being offered by Eric Church! Eric’s had a big year in 2011, much to the delight of his longtime, hardcore following. In anticipation of his third studio album, Chief, Eric offered his single “Homeboy” as a free download to fans for a week in February. The song was certainly a big hit with fans as it went on to earn Gold certification from the RIAA.
4. Blake Shelton Announces 2012 Tour – There’s no better feeling than that of live music and fans are more than ready to get their groove on with Blake Shelton early next year. Blake announced that he’ll hit the road for 27 dates across the U.S. beginning in January and he’ll be bringing along Dia Frampton and Justin Moore for the trek.
3. Planning Underway for 2012 ACM Awards – It’s always fun to see the country stars get dressed up and spend the evening together in celebration of their genre. When country music heads to Sin City for the ACM Awards each year, the whole week is filled with great events as Las Vegas opens their arms for Music City’s best talent and fans. It looks like plenty of our readers are planning to head out west for next year’s awards as this post has been popular since the 2011 awards wrapped up.
2. CMIL’s Top 15 Songs of Summer – To celebrate the kick-off of our favorite season, we compiled a list of our 15 favorite songs of the summer of 2011. Topped by Jake Owen’s “Barefoot Blue Jean Night,” this was our go-to playlist every time we hit the beach this summer!
1. Carrie Underwood & Vince Gill Perform ‘How Great Thou Art’ – We’re still moved to tears every time we watch this video! At the Academy of Country Music’s Girls’ Night Out: Superstar Women of Country TV special taping, Carrie Underwood and Vince Gill teamed up to perform the classic hymn “How Great Thou Art.” The breathtaking bit touched fans and artists alike, and the video from the special kept bringing fans to CMIL all year long!
What were some of your favorite stories on CountryMusicIsLove this year? Let us know what you liked and what you hope to see more of in 2012!