Country artist Matt Stell has been making the most of his time during the music industry’s touring break. Instead of performing in arenas or at outdoor festivals, the rising country star has been strengthening his songwriting skills and gathering tunes for his latest EP release, Better Than That. The eight-track collection reflects Stell’s wit and candor along with the singer’s captivating vocals.
The project also includes his first No. 1 “Prayed for You,” as well as the comical track, “If I Was a Bar,” which Stell released as a music video. The video’s concept showcased the performer as different personas that Stell likened to an Eddie Murphy movie. “I [imagine] a singer being a character, and many of the characters are [similar] to me. It’s always fun to put on those different hats,” he tells Sounds Like Nashville.
Stell is currently climbing the charts with his single, “Everywhere But On,” — a tearjerker tune about a breakup. The Arkansas native discussed the personal connection he had with the track, stating, “I [experienced] a lot of that song when I co-wrote it. By the time we released it, I had lived more of it.” Stell continued, “I was writing with Paul Sikes and Lance Miller when Paul threw out the title. I immediately knew where that song could go.”
Additional to his own music, Stell has collaborated with Christian rapper Lathan Warlick on his timely tune, “Over Yonder.” The lyrics center around a need for unity in a time of turmoil. “We got paired up by my manager,” Stell explained. “I’m a fan of Lathan’s message, and he has a cool vibe…just a great guy.”
Other stand-out tunes fans can enjoy from the new EP include the soulful track, “Sadie,” and the wedding-friendly song, “Look at Me Now.”
Find Matt Stell’s Better Than That on Apple Music or Spotify.
Better Than That Track Listing:
1. Everywhere But On (Matt Stell, Paul Sikes, and Lance Miller)
2. If I Was A Bar (Dan Isbell, Zack Kale, and Jonathan Singleton)
3. Prayed For You (Ash Bowers, Matt Stell, and Allison Veltz-Cruz)
4. Better Than That (Joe Fox, Phil Barton, and Matt Stell)
5. I Love You Too (Seth Alley, Matt Stell, Ryan Peterson)
6. Sadie (Nate Cyphert, Sam Roman, Parrish Warrington, and Diederik van Elsas)
7. Chase it Down (Jarrod Ingram, Blake Hubbard, Brian Maher, and Matt Stell)
8. Look at Me Now (Joe Fox, Seth Ennis, and Thomas Finchum)