Chart topping country group Zac Brown Band has announced the details of an upcoming studio album, revealing October 15 as the drop date for a project titled The Comeback.
Marking their seventh full album, the new set will feature 15 tracks with guest appearances by guitar slinger Marcus King and jazz vocalist Gregory Porter, and its title nods to overcoming adversity — from COVID-19 and beyond.
In announcing the project, lead singer Zac Brown was revealed as co-producer alongside longtime collaborator, Ben Simonetti. Brown also co-wrote each track on the album, and in posts to social media, he explained the “comeback” philosophy behind it. The title and overall theme speak into the deadly pandemic which continues to impact daily life, Brown says. But it also refers to more general obstacles that country fans face — and personal themes like the difficult divorce Brown endured a few years back. Still, the struggle to cope with COVID-19 has inspired much of his band’s new material, including the current single “Same Boat,” which is out now and near country radio’s Top 20.
“The Comeback celebrates our collective resilience as a community,” Brown says in a statement. “This music is about standing together and rediscovering our roots and what makes us human. We feel incredibly blessed to be back out on the road again, sharing these new songs with our fans. The only good thing about getting knocked down is The Comeback when it comes back around.”
The album and its theme follow a year-and-a-half without live performances for Brown and his crew, which was initially a shock for the live-focused group. As COVID-19 swept across the nation, Brown posted emotional pleas for fans to do their part in ending the disease’s spread, since the lack of touring income had forced Brown to lay off some of his team.
Meanwhile, the album will also tackle more traditional country topics, sharing a new track titled “Slow Burn.” Written by Brown, Simonetti and Ben Hayslip, the harmony-filled country rocker feels like a nostalgic trip down a romantic memory lane.
“‘Slow Burn’ is definitely about that first, young love,” Brown explained. “There are very specific memories that are tied to being in love for the first time. ‘Slow Burn’ captures the feeling of going back to places where the details of all those experiences that helped shape you come rushing back.”
The Comeback will follow 2019’s The Owl, and the Zac Brown Band is currently on the road for The Comeback Tour, which is scheduled to run through October.
THE COMEBACK TRACK LISTING
- Slow Burn – Zac Brown, Ben Hayslip, Ben Simonetti
- Out In The Middle – Zac Brown, Luke Combs, Ben Simonetti, Jonathan Singleton
- Wild Palomino – Zac Brown, Wyatt Beasley Durrette III, Ben Simonetti, Jonathan Singleton
- Us Against The World – Zac Brown, Ben Simonetti, Jonathan Singleton
- Same Boat – Zac Brown, Ben Simonetti, Jonathan Singleton
- Stubborn Pride (feat. Marcus King) – Zac Brown, Marcus King, Ben Simonetti
- Fun Having Fun – Zac Brown, Kenny Habul, Kurt Thomas, Ben Simonetti
- The Comeback – Zac Brown, Wyatt Beasley Durrette III, Ray Fulcher, Ben Simonetti, Jonathan Singleton
- Old Love Song – Zac Brown, Luke Combs, Ben Simonetti, Jonathan Singleton
- Any Day Now – Zac Brown, Clay Cook, Josh Dunne, Ray Fulcher, Ben Simonetti, Jonathan Singleton
- Paradise Lost On Me – Zac Brown, Wyatt Beasley Durrette III, Ben Simonetti, Jonathan Singleton
- GA Clay – Zac Brown, Wyatt Beasley Durrette III, Neil Mason, Ben Simonetti, Jonathan Singleton
- Love & Sunsets – Zac Brown, Luke Dick, Ben Simonetti
- Closer To Heaven (feat. Gregory Porter) – Zac Brown, John Driskell Hopkins, Ben Simonetti
- Don’t Let Your Heart – Zac Brown, Wyatt Beasley Durrette III, Levi Lowrey, Jimmy De Martini, Ben Simonetti